Sunday, January 31, 2010

National Parks & my new interest in Landscapes


ever since I took a class on Land Art, landscapes and representations of landscapes have been transformed for me. Previously, I thought works like the Hudson River School and the like, which glorified the land and therefore the nation, to be rather dull, typical and lacking in depth. It was, however, just my limited perspective. I am now quite inspired by them, looking to the land and to the landscape, as a source of the spiritual, the transcendental, & the sublime. I am reminded of all of my back country hikes with my dad through solitary trails cut off from the everyday chaos of Los Angeles. To him, I am grateful for these trips, travels and escapes where one is alone with the silence of the land. I highly recommend Ken Burn's documentary The National Parks. Inspiring, very inspiring!

2 comments:

runnergirl said...

Yes! i love lanscapes! (although not all of them.) I found that ones that are well done really speak to me on another level. Thank you for reminding me of the documentry. I totally want to wee its

rusted sun said...

I just read a fictional book about a young artist from Sri Lanka who when moving to the US discovers the Hudson artist and then discovers her own landscape.

I love the idea that land is connected to identity.