Thursday, November 05, 2009

Halloween, TO Cheap or Not to Cheap that is the question?

We, at the Hurtado house, love Halloween. I think its because its a pretty simple holiday which involved eating candy, is only on one day, and doesn't require a large amount of cooking. Simplicity and Sugar--what more could one ask for?!?

Stella, for the forth year running, was a witch. I love classic Halloween staples like the witch. Adorable! Adorable!



2 year Witch Comparison--October 2007 vs. October 2009

Here is Sam, a Jedi! this year. This was the first year that I broke down and just bought store manufactured costumes in advance. McFrugal, cheap, whatever you call it, I typically prefer just coming up with something around the house and calling it a costume.

Last year, however, ended up not working well and we learned our lesson. In 2008, Sam dressed in all black with one black glove in a vain and yet failed attempt at Luke Skywalker. The no weapons rule at school really did this one in. Stella, actually started off as a scarecrow in old overalls and one of sammy's shirts and real corn husky that we grew in our garden. She ended up looking raggamuffin and unloved. When the first trick-or-treaters knocked on our door and said, "Oh, the old ever trusted Hobo costume! I love it!" and then the wife swiftly corrected him, "No, Ron! I think that's just what she's wearing. I don't think she in a costume." I knew we had not succeeded in properly costuming our children that yet. I quickly sent Stellie upstairs to don the ever trusty witch costume. Funny, I don't have any pictures from that Halloween!

Poor Souls!


Sam's 2 year Halloween Comparison
2007 vs. 2009
In a much more successfully thrown together pirate costume which included worn out shorts of his, a striped shirt of mine, Tom's belt and a sword we had around the house.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Stellie makes an adorable witch. :)

Kaerlig said...

Wasn't Sam a mechanic one year? I've always thought your costumes were great.