Wednesday, September 24, 2008

WILLA

Over 10 years ago Laura was getting ready to head home from college for the summer. We had been dating for a few months at that time so I decided to show her the greatest movie ever. To prep you, here is Roger and Ebert's 1981 movie review of the film:




Most of you know that Laura's nickname is Willa. The name comes from the above mentioned masterpiece ISHTAR. Before my dad vowed to never return to Video Verns, he purchased many discounted films, ISHTAR being one of them. We spent many summers trying to watch this movie from beginning to end to no avail. The first 20 minutes despite the above review are hilarious though.

Anyway, there is a scene in the movie where Warren Beatty's character is abandoned by his lover named Willa. So when Laura was leaving to California for the summer I started to call her Willa and quote the movie saying, "I don't know what I am gonna do now without my Willa."
Here's the only clip I could find. Unfortunately the clip stops right before Beatty starts to cry about his Willa.



PIONEER WILLA

So a few weeks ago the bishop of our ward stopped by to help with the porch on Saturday. We call him the G.C. because he pretty much acts like a general contractor, stopping in every now and again to correct our work.

While we were working, he mentioned how Laura is a pioneer woman. I chuckled in mild agreement as he maintained a straight face and said, "I'm serious." He went on to explain that he saw her mow the lawn while I was working on house projects a week or so ago and said that if she knew how to fix the porch she would be the one doing it. The bishop's comments reminded me of a story I heard about my grandma at the Johnson family reunion this past summer:

My grandparents owned a farm in Southern Utah. Once there was a tomcat making all sorts of noise climbing around on a fence outside. After a while the noise started to really annoy my grandma. So she grabbed a .22 rifle, aimed and shot the cat right off the top of the fence.

I am not promoting guns or animal cruelty. But that aside, my grandma was one tough lady, tough as nails. She was ready for any challenge life threw at her and worked her fingers to the bone all of her life.

Over the last ten years, I have been grateful over and over for the events that led me to find Laura. She is an intelligent and assertive woman who can hold her her own with anyone and I respect and admire her for it.

Yesterday there was a dog rummaging through some things that the kids left in the back yard. It's a good thing that there wasn't a .22 lying around.

5 comments:

Kaerlig said...

That was a nice tribute to Laura. I never knew exactly where Willa came from. Sounds like the movie was a bomb.

Hurtado Family said...

i love you babe







& i don't believe in guns. :)


love you,

wil

rusted sun said...

I sill don't know what I am doing without my Willa. Why are we so far away in Texas? You are right Willa is wonderful. Maybe the Pioneer Willa could be Willa Cather...also showing the complexity of our Willa...she can do awful comedy (I couldn't even make it through the clips) or she can be a frontier women, either way Willa is amazing.

Hurtado Family said...

Yes she is amazing. Yeah the clips are terrible. The movie was terrible, but the name Willa is wonderful.

Jen Howick said...

I'm glad to have finally found your blog again! Funny that the only times I ever run into Willa are at the pool every summer for swim lessons for the kids - but it's so fun to see you when we do! Willa is awesome, and I'm glad to know where the name came from as well. I remember those 10 years ago when you guys were engaged and we all drove down to your wedding... oh the memories! Nice tribute, Tom. You guys are great!